Thursday, July 29, 2010

“Lord, Teach us to Pray the Way John Taught his Disciples how to Pray.”

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, Thaddeus said unto him, "Rabbouni, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples." And Jesus answering said unto them, "Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whoever shall say unto this mountain, "Be removed, and be cast into the sea;" and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he said shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he said. Therefore I say unto you, "Whatever you desire, when you pray, believe that you will receive them, and you shall have them." (Mark 11:22-24). Jesus continued speaking and said, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks shall find; and to him that knocks it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets (Matthew 7:7-12). Whatsoever you ask the Father in my name He will give you (John 14:13-14, 15:16, 16:23). And when you pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly. But when you pray, do not use vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Don't be like them: for your Father knows what things you have need of, before you ask him." (Matthew 6:5-9).

And he said unto them, "When you pray, say,

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.  Give us day by day our daily bread.  And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. (Luke 5:1-4)

And when you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anybody: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses." (Mark 11:25-26). Then Kaipha came unto him, and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?" Jesus said unto him, "I say not unto you, "Until seven times" but, rather, "Until seventy times seven. Therefore is the kingdom of Heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him one million dollars.  But forasmuch as he didn't have the money to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down, and begged him, saying, "Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay you all." Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.  But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellow servants, which owed him an hundred dollars: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, "Pay me what you owe me." And his fellow servant fell down at his feet, and begged him, saying, "Have patience with me, and I will pay all." But he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt. So when his fellow servants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, "O you wicked servant, I forgave you all that debt, because you desired it of me: Should not you also have had compassion on your fellow servant, even as I had pity on you?"  And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if you don't forgive from your hearts every one his brother their sins against you (Matthew 18:21-35. Luke 17:3-4)."

And he said unto them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, "Friend, lend me three loaves; For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?" And he from within shall answer and say, "Don't disturb me, the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give unto you." I say unto you, though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needs." (Luke 1:5-8). And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and never give up; saying, "There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man. And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, "Avenge me of mine adversary." And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, "Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubles me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me."" And the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge said. And shall not God avenge his own chosen people, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of Man comes, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:1-8) "I am giving you a new commandment, love one another. As I have loved you, so you should love one another. By this will all men know that you are my disciples in that you love one another." (John 13:34)

No comments: